Sunday 8 September 2013

Christmas Card Club - Monochrome

It is time once again to post my card for the Christmas Card Club.

Clare chose the theme and it is Monochrome.  It was harder than I thought, but I liked challenging myself with this theme. I thought I had a lot of papers this pinky. reddish, brick colour, but when I pulled them and laid them out, it was apparent some were too ivory looking. I stamped my image on white paper so those ivory papers looked glaringly wrong!

In the end I opted for the easy solution and just used one DP and combined with a printed ribbon. It fits the brief and I do like the DP I chose. I added the K & Co baubles to perk it up a little and since the ribbon and the image both say Merry and Bright, I decided to forgo a sentiment stamp.

Although it does not show, I did add some stardust Stickles to Santa and the stamped snowflakes on the image. I am not great at stamping, as you can see...my solid type stamps always seem to stamp off a little blotchy...I am trying to convince myself that it makes it look more handmade!!! lol

After it was all finished and I was about to take the photo this morning, I decided it was too plain. I added some layered MS snowflakes to sort of look like an easel frame around the image. Then I may have gone a step too far and added one more sort of nestled alongside the baubles. Think I may play with that one a bit more as I am not sure that I like the exact placement. I may even remove it...hmmn...what do you think...
Recipe
Card Base - White square card and envelope from my stash
DP - 12 x12 snippet left over from a scrapbook project, Echo Park, Style Essentials
Cardstock - snippet of red cardstock from my stash
Stamp - from a class at my LSS, manufacturer unknown
Die - Spellbinders deckle rectangle and Sizzix corner
Embellishments - K & Co baubles
Ribbon - snippet of preprinted Merry and Bright ribbon from my stash
Bling - from my stash ( Dollarama originally)
Stickles - Stardust

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Christmas Card Club - monochrome
3. CHNC Extra - must be Christmas
4. CHNC - layer it up
5. MFP Speedy TV Christmas Card Club - must be Christmas

24 comments:

Sue said...

This is lovely Maureen! I love that image hope your jet lag is getting easier hun take care lots of huggles Sue xxxxxxxxx

Zoe Tant said...

Wow fab card. I love all the detail and the colour you've chosen for your monotone. Love it! Zx

Pia S said...

I think your monochromatic card turned out beautiful, and the non traditional color scheme actually works really well!

Wishcraft said...

Ooh fab card, such a great design! Love it :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous No. That paper is perfect or the Santa image. I like it anyhoo and it is a great alternative to back and white :-)
Hugs
Xxx

MagsB said...

isn't it annoying when you think you have matching papers but the colours are just a bit 'off'??!

Your card is lovely, the colours match beautifully, and the layout is so good, too! I love the double snowflakes!

love Mags B x

Di said...

Just step away and leave it Maureen - it's perfect as it is! Brilliant colour matching and a great result!

Hugs, Di xx

Tracy said...

Your card is beautiful :)
I like the non traditional colours :)

Peanut said...

Great minds think alike, Maureen! I have to say - red is a great choice for Christmas! LOVE that image.
hugs your Christmas Card Clubbie,
Sunny Summer Crafts

Jules said...

Hi Maureen

I think your card is gorgeous!!

Love that Santa stamp very much.

Great snowflakes too.

Hope you have recovered from your jet-lag now.

Looking back over your blog it looks like you had an amazing time.

Love Jules xx

Planetsusie said...

Hello there chuckles! This is lovely - I love your embellishments and the image is gorgeous - just right for a monochrome look. How spooky that you nearly bought the same stamp that I used and I didn't notice the British Columbia on the bottom right hand corner - I did see the Canada on the other corner though.

It's a great card Maureen - just love it.

Big hugs Sue Pxxx

Hazel said...

This is beautiful, Maureen - what a lovely response to Clare's challenge for CCC - love the colour tones - thanks for sharing for both of my CHNC challenges. You could also share this lovely card for The Glory of Christmas challenge 15: 'anything goes' - I'd love to see it there too, Hazel, Glory of Christmas DT. Hope to see you again soon. x

Mary Jo said...

Very pretty card! :)
If you are going by the rule of three design principle, I might remove it.
But truthfully rules are made to be broken ! :)

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

This is so pretty! I love the monochromatic look.

brenda said...

There is such a lovely vintage feel to this one Maureen, both in the muted reds as well as the image and whole design. Very nice.

B x

Unknown said...

Hi ya Mo, gosh what have I been missing from your blog...all of these awesome creations and just love this card, it's stunning. Keeping in touch...luv annie xxxx

MaryH said...

I think it is just lovely with your snowflakes positioned as you have them. Also agree it doesn't need a sentiment. On the blotchy Santa image - I have the same problem quite often. Recently saw a tutorial that showed one should take an eraser and sort of 'sand over' the stamp surface prior to inking. I've been trying that on some of mine...?maybe it's making a little difference...can't really be sure just yet. But your image did look quite vintage so I liked it here. (On my Halloween solids, I went over a couple black places with either a copic or a spica - if I wanted shine, I did the spica). Loved this card. Glad you're getting back in the swing. Bet your littles are so happy you're home. TFS & Hugs

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful card - I like all the details and textures and your choice of colour too. Elizabeth xx

Mrs A. said...

Lovely monochrome card. The 'C' pile on my blog refers to the dreaded Christmas card stack. A lot of people have trouble even thinking the word Christmas in any other month than December so I abbreviate to just the letter C so not to upset them to much !!!!!! (My daughter being one of them who makes her cards two days before)
hugs Mrs A.

Amanda said...

Lovely card and h monochrome look is perfect. Such a pretty colour too. Hugs, Amanda x

Glenda Atkins said...

Beautiful monochromatic coloured card!I love the Santa image and the ornament embellishments! Wonderfully done!
hugs
Glenda

Carol said...

This is lovely Maureen, that stamp is gorgeous. Carol x

MaryH said...

Whoo-Eee, just saw your name as the winner over at the Playground, so followed the link to pop over & say "Well done!". It's always a happy to see a name I 'know' as a winner at Pixie's. Can't wait to see what you create with the prize! Hugs

Carol said...

Me again!! Thanks for joining us at CHNC Extra this month. Carol GD x