Friday 19 December 2014

Wise Men Still Seek Him - Round II Card 46 and 47

As it gets closer to Christmas Day, I thought I would try to refocus on the main reason we celebrate Christmas. Our family honours the Christmas Season right up to and including Epiphany.

This is such a season of giving and refocusing on what is really important. Our youngest daughter has been busy making up hampers for two Christmas families who needed some help this year. The grankids have a hand in this as well and each also make up a box for the Shoebox campaign. This is something we usually take part in too, but have stepped back this year due to the move. We are living vicariously through our girls this year and will make up for it next year!

Our eldest just posted the most heartwarming story about how she made up a stocking for a homeless fellow who had the added burden of being wheelchair bound. She found him on the street and stopped to chat casually with him, as he opened his gifts.  Once he was done, she wished him Merry Christmas and set off and he called after her to thank her for stopping long enough to chat with him! She makes up the gifts during the year and stores them in her car. Then when she spies a likely candidate or two, she is prepared. She focusses on things like candy, wool socks, toques and gloves as it can get very cold here in the midst of winter..

My card today showcases my new Taylored Expressions Nativity Border. I had to use a very dark charcoal textured paper for it as I have already packed my black cardstock! The sky is a snippet of aqua glitter paper and the sand dunes are snippets of beige pearlescent textured card.


I chalked the edges of the dunes to create some depth and used a black Momento Ink to stamp a Hobby Art Small Parts, Wise Men sentiment. I wish I had a small jewel in the shape of a star to place over the star above the diecut stable...I actually do have one, but it is packed as well! Oh my!

I made two the same...well almost the same. I never have enough religious ones made and sometimes run short as I am mailing my cards off. Thought I would be better prepared this year! These have been happily mailed out to some friends from church.


Off to the hospital in the city today for a spinal nerve root block. Fingers crossed it gives some pain relief as it will be easier to finish the packing with a bit less of an ouchy back! lol  It sometimes leaves me a bit under the weather for a couple of days, so if I am a wee bit late responding to comments this time, I hope you will understand.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Loves Rubber Stamps Challenge - Anything Goes Holiday Blitz, Challenge 131
.

31 comments:

Carol said...

What a beautiful die Maureen, two lovely cards. Hope your block gives some relief. Carol x

Rebecca said...

Hi ScrappyMo! Hope your ok? Only 6 days until Christmas! Your card reminds me and probably everyone else of what Christmas is about...love it!

Love From Rebecca xx

cotnob said...

Two fabulous cards, such wonderful nativity scenes.
I hope everything went well at the hospital and you get some relief from your painful back.
Take care.
Pauline
x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Gorgeous - and I like that you and your family honour the true meaning of Christmas.

debby4000 said...

Oh what a beautiful and perfect Christmas card.
luv
Debby

Di said...

Wonderful cards Mo and what a heartwarming story about your daughter.

Hope the injection is settling things down for you!

Hugs

Di xx

McCrafty's Cards said...

Simply Beautiful Mo, wonderful design
Kevin xx

Sally H said...

Just beautiful! Gorgeous use of snippets!

Kath said...

Fabulous cards and a great use of snippets.
Kath x

Di said...

Bless you mu lovely friend. You're going though the mill as they say - here's hoping that Christmas is good for you and Al. And more so in 2015 with the house move :)

Much love

Di - Len - and Parsnip! xx

Mrs A. said...

you have made not one but two fab cards just using what you had to hand. hope you get some relief from your trip to the drs. I'm managing to keep fairly free without too much aches and pains. Don't like not being in my own bed and it's always nice to get back home again. hugs Mrs A.

coldwaters2 said...

Two fabulous, festive cards Mo love them
hugs
lorraine x

Jean said...

Super cards Mo, lovely die and good use of the snippets. I love the sand dunes and the seasonal sentiment.
I hope your hospital visit provides the relief you need for your back.
Happy Christmas, Jean x

Liz said...

Two beautiful cards. What a fabulous die. I love the scene you've created with it.

Hope things went well at the hospital. xx

Sandra H said...

Stunning they both are x

laurie said...

Thats an awesome die, what a beautiful card!

April said...

Your card is beautiful! You did a great job with what you had on hand. Hope your back gets better and your move goes as smoothly as possible. Merry Christmas!

Greta said...

Oh my goodness--one of my favorite cards! Now I "need" that TE die! Hoping the injection gives you much relief!

Sarn said...

Congrats on making two wonderful Nativity scene cards here Mo.

Hope the results of the hospital trip were good and that you are now in less pain.

Sending you best wishes for the New Year.

Good luck with the move, and with the start of your Rudolph Day challenge.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Hi Maureen love your Nativity cards such a lovely design. I hope your block was successful and you can get some relief. What a lovely thing for your daughter to do. In case I don't get around again I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, hugs Susan x

Sassy Raggedy said...

I loved reading your story of how your family celebrates the Holiday. your card is wonderful and I do hope you will be better soon. Wishing you much love and joy this Christmas Season. Hugs, joann

Pia S said...

To me it sounds like you and your husband have done a great job raising your children into grown ups that care about others, and they've passed it on to your grand children too. You must be so proud.
Gorgeous religious themed cards!

Carol L said...

What wonderful cards, and what a wonderful giving spirit your daughter has to reach out to the homeless like she does! I hope your procedure was successful and you're able to enjoy Christmas without pain! Merry Christmas hugs!

Pat said...

I love these two nativity scenes Mo and the dunes with the added shading really look 3D. That was a lovely thing your daughter did, and I hope your trip to the hospital helped with your back pain so you can enjoy your Christmas. Wishing you a very happy Christmas. x

scrapeahappy said...

The card came out beautiful! Although it look even more stunning in real life.

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Mo and your heartwarming stories of your girls is wonderful. Bless them and you this Christmas season.
Hugs
xx

Darnell said...

These are really moving cards, Maureen, and so is the loving heart of your daughter! You must be so proud of having raised such a kind and generous human being! I hope you are adjusting well to the treatment and that your Christmas was merry! I wish you all the best with the move and in the new year!! Hugs, Darnell

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh this is so beautiful. I hope you will also join us over at the Loves Rubberstamps Challenge blog. Lots of prizes to win.

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

This is such a beautiful scene, love the sparkly background. Thanks for playing with us over at Loves Rubberstamps!!!

Tracy said...

Your cards are lovely.
I hope your procedure works and you feel better.

Words and Pictures said...

Great layered sand dunes and such a serene and beautiful scene. Hope you are having a peaceful and joyous 12 Days of Christmas, and wishing you a wonderful 2015!
Alison xx