Friday 13 July 2012

Back From The Lake - second card

As promised here is another card I made up at the lake. Yesterday, I mentioned that my card making was fairly limited as I had only one small bin of stash/supplies with me.
I must confess that I did have access to another type of supplies...one that I have used before...coffee cup sleeves!

DH likes to read the paper and usually heads into the village to pick up a newspaper each day. I love to tag along on these outings so I can drop into my favourite coffee shop "EcoTreats". I get a coffee or perhaps a latte and carefully save the coffee cup sleeve. It then gets added to my sleeve stash of Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Blenz, Eccotique etc, sleeves. The beauty of this collection lies in the fact that each store uses a sleeve that is a slightly different shade of kraft and each has a different texture.

I tore the EcoTreat sleeve to create a base for the sentiment and the larger grouping of flowers. I chalked the edges of the sleeve with Little Miss C's sidewalk chalk. I think it worked rather well! I kind of rubbed off the chalk till I had the intensity I wanted and then used pop dots to elevate it for a little extra interest.

Kraft embossed card base - Recollections from Michaels
Embossed Sentiment sticker - K and Company
Glittered Flowers - Dollar Store
Butterfly - Dollar Store

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1. Charisma Cardz Challenges http://www.charismacardz.blogspot.ca/      Recycle
My card uses a coffee sleeve as the base for the sentiment and the larger flower cluster.
2. Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge   http://pennyschallenges.blogspot.ca/  Anything goes #84
3. Wishcraft: Waste Not Wednesdays  http://wishcraftcards.blogspot.ca/
Every element on my card is from my stash with the exception of the coffee sleeve which became stash soon as I finished my drink!
4 Our Daily Bread Design http://www.ourdailybreaddesignsblog.blogspot.ca/  Tearing or distressing
I tore the coffee sleeve and chalked the edges to give it a distressed look

17 comments:

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Love the butterflies! Gorgeous wrok. jenx

Anonymous said...

such a pretty card! Love it!

Rosemary said...

very pretty! so clever to use the coffee cup sleeve!! thanks for playing along with the shining the light challenge this week!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...so pretty I loVe this card & loVe your story too!...I like the idea of your collection but can't say I've ever come across one!! I'm missing out me thinks...Mel :)
Wishing you a wonderful weekend...xx

Anne-Elise said...

What a clever idea! Love the flowers with the beautiful butterfly!

Redanne said...

A lovely card, very clever of you, love that red butterfly! A x

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Thanks for popping by to see me! Yes my son is very proud of himself! But in a bashful, modest kind of way if that makes sense. He can't believe it really! Happy Friday. Jenx

Mary Jo said...

Very cool card! Love the use of recyclable material :)

Unknown said...

Hi there, what an elegant card - love the kraft and what a great idea to re-use the sleeve.

Sarah

PS - thanks for the kind comments on my blog, I know I'm biased but our kittens are cute aren't they?!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

This is so pretty! Love that you used the coffee cup sleeve. Upcycling at its best. :)

Kathy said...

Love the way you used the coffee sleeve here, Mo! Did you stamp and emboss the doilies on the background paper? (Sounds like you have quite a collection of the sleeves now...they're perfect to make into gift card holders, too!) Smiles!

Connie Mercer said...

lovely card ~ You made my night with all the sweet comments~new follower:):)

Erika said...

Loving kraft just now, great background stamping and cute butterfly. Hugs Erika.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I just love your bright colors against the kraft. Beautiful background stamping. Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!!

Tracy said...

Great card!!
I think using limited supplies help us be more creative :)
As for the coffee sleeves(hot chocolate in my case ;) I have a large collection as well. My SIL is always bringing me different ones. she even found some foam like ones.

Deanne Saunders said...

A beautiful card! Thanks for taking part in Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge. Hope to see you again for our next challenge.
~DEANNE~

Karen Petitt said...

this is such a pretty card! i must open my eyes a bit more to see what i can recycle! wonderful idea to use those sleeves creatively hugs Karen