Monday 10 December 2012

A night out with the girls

NO...not that kind of night out..... but a fun, creative evening for sure. My neighbour and another friend and I went to the Friday night free crop at one of our local scrapbook stores. They have 2 rooms set up with several 6 foot tables. Sometimes it can be a full house and then you have to share a table, but tonight I think there were only 8 of us. Luxury!
 Oh, how I love going to crops! I find it so inspiring to see what everyone is working on, to run ideas past your friends and just have a giggle and a good catch up.

For once, I got quite a bit finished. I made several flat cards...very flat cards indeed. Cards that I'm almost positive will fit through the infamous tester slot! I resisted popping elements  forward on the first few I made and only brought out the pop dots after I had finished several flat cards. teehee
Here are the flat ones. I need to add something at the top of the ornament. I was going to tie a small shimmery metalic cord into a bow. I have a silver and also a red.  Or I could handcut the Memory box bow that is supposed to go with these...that would be flatter...but I couldn't decide! What do you think?




And now a few with a bit of  3 dimensional elements.


In real life, the contrast between the snowflake red and the poinsettia red is not as stark as it looks here. The poinsettias have a lot of burgundy red glitter and beads on them.
This shot shows those poinsettias in all their sparkly beauty!
I think I was really struggling to take all these pictures tonight without the benefit of natural light. The card is metallic silver so is giving off a lot of glare on some of them and the others look too dark!

I got a few more cards done too but have ferreted them away for another post.

I even managed to hand deliver 3 Christmas cards today. DH went out with his pals for lunch and the guys stopped by here to pick him up We had a little visit before they set out and I was able to hand them their cards as they left. The first of my in town cards delivered...that is a good feeling.

Today I plan to set out the Xmas decorations on the main floor. Time to break out the Xmas tablecloth and mats, the Xmas towels and do up the centerpiece on the dining room table. I am hoping we get out to find a few branches for the plant pot at my front door. I have filled it with red and silver Xmas balls and a couple of red feather cardinals...a few well placed branches should finish it off.

Perhaps I can even get DD to throw some lights on the shrubs in the front flower beds.   We don't put up lights on the house eves or around the garage door anymore since DH had a nasty fall off the ladder a couple of years ago. Bit of garland and some lights around the front door,  lights on the shrubs out front, and we call it good. How could he manage all the cooking with a bum shoulder?  Not taking any chances! teehee

No challenges for these...too many things still on my "to do list"...must get cracking on with it!

32 comments:

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous, beautiful cards
luv
Debby

Jules said...

Gosh Mo .. .. you got lots done!!

If that's what a 6' table does for production I had better start using one!!!

Hope you are having a good week.

Love Jules xx

nwilliams6 said...

I totally love crops too! They are even better when you have your good friends with you. I love that you made cards instead of scrapbook pages - I do the same thing usually. Fun cards and I like the various versions of them. So cool!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

love the cards!!!

McCrafty's Cards said...

These are all beautiful I love that bauble die.
Kevin xx

Irene said...

Beautiful and stunning cards.
luv
irene
xxxx

Shelby said...

Wowzer you did get a lot done! Love that MB ornament and I think it looks gorgeous just the way it is. The dimension cards look just as gorgeous and love the different colors you've used.

Shelby

Pia S said...

Such classy designs!

Redanne said...

I have never been to a crop but they sound like fun. I love the cards with the Memory Box dies, they are gorgeous. I would hand but the bows, to keep the postage costs down - definitely - it cost me more than it cost to make the cards, to post them! Hugs, Anne x

Sassy Raggedy said...

I would love to go to a crop...There are no craft stores where I live so we don't have those here. I started a small craft group once then the tornado hit us and demolished the building and all of our supplies. But I am not sure why I am babbling on - your cards are wonderful. I love the gem words and bauble is awesome. So glad to hear you are doing so good now and getting out and enjoying your life. Beautiful cards my friend....joann sassy raggedy

Sandy said...

Oh how lucky you are to have these crops to go to - nothing like that back in the mountains. Your cards are lovely!
Sandy

Vicky said...

All so gorgeous sweetie...:o)

big hugs Vicky xx

Suzie's Card Den said...

These are gorgeous - you did get a lot done - I didn't know there was a bow for the top of the ornament die, I bet it would look stunning.
Hope you are well and looking forward to Christmas
Hugs
Suzie xx

Wishcraft said...

Gorgeous cards hun! Love the ornament die and the sparkly poinsettias look fab too :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Maureen, lots of beautiful cards - love the poinsettia and the baubles.

Thanks for your comment on my gift tag post. In answer to your question about the mica powders, yes, they are actually powders. Little pots of coloured powders with mica in them. Perfect Pearls is probably the best known make but there are others available. In my piece I used Interference Green in Perfect Pearls and Light Gold by Crafty Notions. It is the dampness/stickiness of the ink that makes them stick to the page. VersaMark or Perfect Medium are perfect to use because of the stickiness but I've used Tim Holtz distressed inks and Adirondack inks. With this one I used a gold ink pad too. There is an additive in Perfect Pearls (and some other makes) that helps set the powder and so stay put on the page. I don't think the Crafty Notions powders have the additive so I finish of the piece by spraying with hair spray - just the cheapest can I could find :)

Hope this helps.
Hugs, Elizabeth xx

May said...

Fabulous selection of beautiful Christmas cards... you have been busy... Glad to hear you had fun at the crop!! Hugs May x x x

Tracy said...

Your cards are beautiful :)
I think either way they would look great, but if you want to keep them flat, then maybe the die cut one.
Glad you enjoyed your crop. They are always fun :)

Connie Mercer said...

so pretty!!! Thanks for stopping by!

nancyparker55 said...

You've been a busy lady. Lots of pretty cards. Sounds like your "Girl's Night Out" was lots of fun.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous selection of cards, that bauble is gorgeous too...luv annie

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Wow you have made some amazing cards they are all stunners! Thanks for visiting my blog and the info on craft stores in Vegas. I have been to the Michaels next to the Walmart but didn't see a scrap store! Hugs Susan x

Mary Jo said...

Your cards are so, so pretty! :)

Diana Seal said...

WOW, the Christmas ornament is just gorgeous, they look so delicate!
Looks like you had tons of fun!

Glenda Atkins said...

They are all gorgeous and love the ornament die, I think the bow that comes with it would work. You do want to get them through the slot. I spent quite a while yesterday sliding mine through the PO tester gizmo. Rejected a few, but most got through it. What a waste of time though!
hugs
Glenda

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Thanks for the info! I may try and get there but I am going with my husband who is so not into shopping! It may have to wait til Nov when I make my annual trip with my girlfriends - now they are shoppers!! xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful cards, love the striking bauble and the circle aperture on the second card. Tracy x

Rebecca said...

Hi ScrappyMo i love your cards you must of been busy! i liked them all but i especially liked the second one!

Love From Rebecca xx

Sue Althouse said...

Such lovely cards! I love dimension, but have to consider if they are going through the mail or not.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

That sounds like fun! Glad you are getting out!!! The Peace card design is lovely!!

Jan Hennings said...

What beautiful cards!

MaryH said...

Love these ornaments...great inspiration here. Have the unused die, must use it (next year!) Your poinsettia & snowflake is truly a work of art too. Your pictures showed up very well. Thanks for sharing such inspiration, and glad you had a fun time. Good for the soul. We mailed cards today, and I didn't pay enough attention when I was creating...much extra postage. Another Next Year thing to remember. Think we are about the same place as you with our decorating. What little we did, was when the DD was visiting, and no outside stuff at all. I miss it, but not enough to do it by myself. No garland even on the bannisters, etc. Have a few cards to finish, but local things. Might even get a little post tonight, since I had a refreshing nap after running around! TFS, Merry Christmas and lovely cards.

Lisa said...

Great cards can't believe how many u got done