Sunday 3 November 2013

Christmas Card Club - The True Meaning of Christmas

I really enjoyed planning my card for the Christmas CArd Club. Christine of Christines Cards and Crafts chose the theme to be a Religious Christmas.

I needed to make a religious Christmas card for my Mum as she has strong views that there must be a religious aspect to any cards given by, or sent to her. She is a strong believer and likes to see the true meaning of Christmas remembered and honoured.

So I set out to ink up a Nativity Silhouette that I bought for making all my Family cards.  Found a lovely card on Pinterest to use as inspiration and organized the embellies and ribbon for it.

Then I stamped out the silhouette and found that my black ink pad was not juicy enough to give a dark outline! I had already been out to the scrapbook stores yesterday, too bad I had not realized in time!

I could not purchase a digital image as our printer does not work with our new Windows 8 laptop and google indicates problems if you download new drivers for it. Cheapskate that I am, I am trying to wait till Black Friday for a bargoon on a new printer. That also gives me time to research a great printer for printing digis, with a back loading paper tray (or the ability to back load a few papers) and the ability to print good photos! Oh yeah...and it has to work well with Windows 8!!!
I have had some great recommendations so far!

So, a good rummage around my room found some K and Co chipboard nativity scenes that I had bought for Little Miss C and Mr P to make for Great Grandma. So here is my card...with the main elements snitched from the Grand kids art drawer!


I know it is really plain but I was aiming for it to look like a scene!
I cut two gentle hills out of a snippet of 
textured pearlescent card stock and roughed up the edges to look like dirt. I glued these to a piece of Recollections deeply embossed crinkle shimmer card. The photo is fairly true to the colour IRL and I was hoping it would look like the sky. I mounted that on a piece of Best Creations Prussia Blue Glitter card. Then it was just a case of adding the Star and the sentiment to the scalloped card base and envelope from my recent trip to England.

No recipe tonight as I have given it in the post!

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets (there is only the brown card snippet)
2. CHNC Extra - must be Christmas
4. Christmas Card Club - Religious theme Christmas

22 comments:

brenda said...

Morning to you, just popping in for my virtual and generic c/p visit to see your latest creations, say hello and hope you have a good week.

B x

Irene said...

A beautiful Nativity scene, I love the sky and hills. Your Mam will love it.
luv
irene
xxxx

Joanna Wiśniewska said...

Very pretty card.

Liz said...

Aww this is lovely! Hugs xx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Maureen
This is fabulous..... Enjoy your day....
Hugs Sylvie xxx

Di said...

Oh, this really is lovely Mo - perfect for you Mum and the true spirit of Christmas.

Hugs, Di xx

Planetsusie said...

Oh bless you Maureen - I think your mum will be pleased. I love your story about the ink pad - typical though isn't it. However, I love the card you have made and the little scene is wonderful. A very worthy religious theme methinks!

Big hugs to you both Sue Pxxx

Hettie said...

This is lovely Mo. Sometimes the not so glitzy ones are better.
Hugs
xx

Christine Harrop said...

You have made a lovely scene Maureen. The background paper is lovely. It's amazing what we find hidden away in our stash isn't it. Your mum will certainly be happy with this gorgeous card! The verse of scripture is very fitting. Love and hugs Christine xx

Mary Jo said...

Such a lovely card!

Sue said...

This is lovely Maureen your mum will love it! and I love the verse lots of huggles Sue xxx

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Maureen,

This is a lovely card! I'm sure your mom will love it.

Oh no; don't tell me about Windows 8 problems with printers!! I bought a new laptop (still in the box) and now I'm wondering about my printer and the new version of Windows. I will be interested to hear what you decide to buy. Are you looking for a printer that also scans?

Thanks for visiting. The craft fair was fun but I certainly was glad that I wasn't a participant!

Hugs,
Kay

Carol said...

Wonderful improvisation Maureen, your scene looks fabulous. Love all the textured background too. Carol x

MaryH said...

Really am liking this theme ya'll have for this week. A great choice by Christine. Your elements worked beautifully to make a lovely card. It's definitely not 'simple', but very inspirational. I think you did a marvelous job with your 'found supplies', & I really do love this one bunches. Great Job Maureen. Gold star for you! TFS & Hugs

Peanut said...

Excellent save. Maureen! Your Mum will be delighted to receive this. You've put together a lovely card. I dare say our Christine will be chuffed too! :-)
xxx Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

Di said...

Wahoo Mo!! Guess what arrived here today, really fast service? I'll post the gauge ASAP this week :)

ugs, Di xx

Darnell said...

It's a beautiful scene, not plain at all, Maureen! Good for you for finding a solution, even if it meant snitching from the kiddies! They'll never know!

I never did buy a new printer, so please let me know what you decide on in the end and how you like it. (I realize you are waiting until the sales, which BTW I heard are going to start this year ON Thanksgiving Day, not Friday!) Hugs, Darnell

Hazel said...

Delightful card for Christine's CCC challenge. Thanks for entering this lovely card for my CHNC challenge extra for November - hope to see you again soon. x

Glenda Atkins said...

Beautiful Nativity scene, love the sky! Wonderful card displaying the reason for the season! Love it!
hugs
Glenda

Pia S said...

You've made such a beautiful nativity scene! Love the structure and shimmer of the blue paper you've used to make the sky!

Mrs A. said...

Back on with my official hat again. This is not doing my hair style much good. Beginning to look all frizzy!! What a snitch your card turned out to be. I'm sure the grandchildren didn't mind you have a good rummage in their special craft drawer. Thankyou for joining in with another great card at Crafty hazelnuts extra this month. hugs Mrs A. (GDT)

Karen Petitt said...

It's not plain at all Mo, it works as a Nativity scene. I love the background paper you've used and the whole thing is very pretty x