Tuesday 5 November 2013

Twelve Days Of Christmas - Day 6 - Mason Jar Candle

I am totally creating the challenges for the Mark's Finest Papers Twelve Days of Christmas all out of order! I have submitted Day 1 and now I've jumped to Day 6.  Thank goodness that it does not matter as all the challenges are now listed here and we have until 9 pm on Nov 11 to submit our 12 entries.

The leaves are a sea of vivid colours here, and falling non stop. The drifts of leaves in all the neighbourhoods around us look gorgeous. They crunch under your feet as you walk and the neighbourhood kids love to jump in them. The riot of colours made me want to make a some fall decorations.

The challenge for Day 6 of the Twelve Days of Christmas is to make a Mason Jar Candle. It does not have to be Christmas themed. I decided to make a fall inspired jar and decorated it with some hessian ribbon which has glittery embossed leaves stamped on it. I cut a piece of the wired ribbon, folded one cut edge under and wrapped it round my mason jar. I placed some Sook Wang tape under the folded edge and pressed it down as tightly as I could. I then wrapped some twine around and tied a loopy bow.
I fussy cut out a couple of the glittery leaves and combined them with some Prima Fall Leaves, nestling them just under the tied twine bow.

I don't have many MFP stamps but did find this "Live" stamp in their "Be Wild And Free" stamp set. I stamped it onto an upcycled coffee sleeve and  trimmed it down to look like a slim fishtale flag. I combined that with a MME Wicked Merchant Malvado's single banner pennant and slid it under the bow.

Cut another piece of the hessian and frayed the edges all around. Mounted that on another piece of the coffee sleeve and added one more "Live" sentiment and pennant flag. Tied it round the top like a tag.

I filled my mason jar with rice, and dried beans. I wanted the fall colours of the beans so show through the bottom of the jar. I then placed my candle inside, nestling it down into the beans to level it.
Here is a close of of the front...showing the rice and beans through the design.
As you can see in the first picture, I have the original lid to my antique blue/green glass mason jar...I will use that lid to keep the dust out when my candle is not burning.

I am entering this in the following challenges

1. Marks Finest Papers, Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 6
2. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes 

9 comments:

brenda said...

Love this one to.

B x

dutchess said...

what a clever girl you are these are just lovely...one of my nieces pinched all my preserving jars this year...and she actually used them...I am going to forward your blog address so she can get some ideas on decorating them for Christmas presents ....lovely! xxxxx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...loving your antique mason jar, fabulous lid too, and decorated so beautifully...Mel:)xx

Lisa Carroll said...

This is gorgeous! Love the glitter! :) Thanks for playing along over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

Anonymous said...

beautiful!! i love the leaves and glitter - so much dimension.

Hettie said...

Yet another great make Mo. Keep em coming! You are doing a great job!
xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

I love your candle! Saw it at MFP 12 Days and had to come tell you - it's beautiful! Good luck in the challenges!

Di said...

Wow Mo - this is amazing, and useful too. LOVE the Autumn theme.

I posted your postal gauge yesterday and as expected the girls in the Post Office had a laugh that I was sending a UK gauge to Canada - BUT, the thickness is exactly right so why not?!

Hugs, Di xx

Glenda Atkins said...

Beautiful mason jar makeover, it is gorgeous, love those magnificent leaves and the great tag! Makes for a most wonderful candle holder!!!
hugs
Glenda