Thursday 15 May 2014

Guys and Trucks - Card 15

I made a couple of masculine cards for my girlfriend. Remember that gift set of purple cards I showed you a couple of posts ago? Well, these are the masculine cards I made for her as well.  I made the purple cards for the feminine cards, as that is her favourite colour; and rusty metal cogs and wheels for the guy cards, as she works in an Auto Parts store.

Some of her auto parts come wrapped in new burlap bags, so I used a bit of the burlap she has kindly given me.
I ran a Spellbinders cog die through my Big Shot and then smooshed the paper through the TH stains on my craft mat. I think I did something wrong as the paper seemed to get soaking wet and lose it's crispness. Perhaps I should have used the watercolour paper...I will try that next time. When I dried the cogs with the heat gun, the paper seemed ready to tear and actually did on the pointy frame around the image. Probably would have been better to just let it dry...but wanted to get them finished to take up to her when I am at my Mum's on Monday.

I used my old Stampin Up truck this time, but will check out the internet for some images of old antique trucks for the next card. Yes, there will be a next card...batch baking I think! On the next ones I think I will drag half sheets of the paper through the stain and let it dry thoroughly....and then cut it with the dies. Should prevent tearing, methinks! If it still tears, then it will have to be back to the watercolour paper, I guess.

I kept the inside fairly simple. Just the sentiment verse with a cog tucked in behind! Forgot to take a photo of it. Drat...Here is a photo to show the look of the Wink of Stella |Pen. I used it on the truck body, and the dies. You can see from this closeup how the paper kind of lost it's crisp look and got tattered looking...

****************This is card #15 of 50. I am on a consumables spending freeze until I have made 50 cards (Sook Wang tape and heavy weight card stock are exempt).***************


Recipe
Card Base - corrugated Kraft square card from my stash
Design Paper - don't have my book handy that I record the deets in...will update this when I am home
Card Stock - snippet of Kraft card, snippets of cream heavy weight card for the cogs and sentiment
Dies - Spellbinders Cogs; Elizabeth Crafts, Happy Birthday
Stains - Tim Holtz Frayed Burlap, Spiced Marmalade, Bundled Sage
Burlap - from my stash (given by my friend)
Ink - Ingvild Bolme black chalk ink
Stamp - Stampin Up Truck
Enamel dots - from my stash. I got these for 80% off, after Halloween

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets

16 comments:

jimlynn said...

Fabulous! Love all the cogs and gears and the way you did them in the stain. Your friend will love this.
Lynn

Sue said...

What a fab card Mo!!! love it and those cogs are great. I seem to have not sat down today been really busy but now I'm taking a few mins to myself to catch up on my commenting LOL huggles Sue xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Christine Harrop said...

Great male card Maureen. Cogs and burlap are very male! I love the colours of your cogs - even though you had problems with them. Hugs Christine xx

Hettie said...

Great card there Mo. I really should dig my cogs out, not used them for ages. Your card is certainly food for thought.
Hugs
xx

Kathleen said...

This is fabulous, love the tones and the images, brilliant male card.

Kath x

McCrafty's Cards said...

Great card, I love the design.
Kevin xx

debby4000 said...

Those rusty looking cogs are fabulous and makes a super mans card.
luv
Debby

Jenny Marples said...

Such a great male card - love those cogs - and I'm most impressed with your stash busting efforts. Jenny x

Pia S said...

Love the metallic colors and look of your cogs and image, and I think it's a great Idea of design and it's especially perfect for your friend considering what she does for a living!

Mrs A. said...

Wow! What a fabulous concept for a male card. Love the colours too.
Hugs Mrs a.

Sassy Raggedy said...

This is such a great masculine card. Love the truck and all the gears. Wonderful...Hugs, joann

coldwaters2 said...

Brilliant card for a male those cogs have a fantastic rusty look to them really authentic, the image of the trick is ACE.
hugs
lorraine x

cotnob said...

This is a brilliant card, I love your image and all of the cogs and fabulous distressed feel.
Pauline
x

Glenda Atkins said...

Fabulous design and use of the cogs! Masculine and fun!
hugs
Glenda

Greta said...

Oh wow--what a wonderful card!

Tracy said...

I love this card.
I like the masculine feel to it and love the browns and of course the gears and cogs….love those!